Free/Reduced Fee & Lifetime Licenses
- Free/Reduced Fee Licenses: You may qualify for a free/reduced fee annual fishing license if you are:
(For information on required documents and qualifications click the links below. In most instances, you must be a New York resident):
- Lifetime Licenses: Fish for life with a lifetime license! Available to residents only.
You need a fishing license if you are 16 years and older and fishing for:
- Freshwater fish species by angling, spearing, hooking, longbow, and tip-ups.
- Frog species by spearing, catching with the hands or by use of a club or hook.
- Freshwater baitfish for personal use.
You do not need a fishing license if you are:
- Fishing on a licensed fishing preserve
- Fishing during the free fishing weekend
- Fishing at a free fishing clinic
- A resident landowner primarily engaged in farming (including lessees and members of their immediate families) when fishing on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating.
- A farm fish pond license holder (including members of their immediate families) fishing on waters covered by the license.
- A Native American living and fishing on reservation land.
- A patient residing at a qualifying U.S. Veterans Administration hospital or facility in New York State.
Please follow and like us: