The Great Sacandaga Lake is located In the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains - The Great Sacandaga Lake is close to Saratoga and Lake George!
Home |  History  | What to Do  |  Lodging |  Garden/Home  |  Parties/Weddings | Dining  | Shopping  | Nightlife  | Lou's Lake Report
Boating/Sailing | Golf | Fishing | Events  |  Real Estate |  Contact   | Get Sacandaga Stuff
| Current Weather | Advertise

FacebooktwitterGoogle PlusFlickr
 
Museums around the Great Sacandaga Lake
 

The Adirondack Museum

The Adirondack Museum believes in the power of history to ignite the imagination, stimulate thought and shape the future. Our collections and engaging programs reflect stories of life, work, and play in the Adirondack Park and northern New York State.

Blue Mountain Lake,NY
518-352-7311

Museum Hours:
daily 10am to 5pm

Open May 23—Oct 19.

Closed Sep 5 & Sep 19


 

The Arkell Museum

The Arkell Museum at Canajoharie has just reopened in a new building, with exhibitions on American art and Mohawk Valley history. Visitors to the museum will discover paintings by American artists such as Winslow Homer, Childe Hassam, Robert Henri, Maurice Prendergast, and Georgia O’Keeffe on display in the galleries. Examples of Beech-Nut advertising are also featured in new exhibitions, and we have scheduled a variety of exciting programs and events that are open to the public. The Arkell Museum is located halfway between Albany and Utica — just three blocks from Exit 29 on the New York State Thruway (I-90).

 

Monday through Friday:
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Saturday and Sunday:
12:30 PM - 5:00 PM



Homestead and outdoor museum complex which includes a 1905 farmhouse, 1870 cobbler shop, general store and 130-year-old pegged barn, with displays on the county's early tanning and lumber industries.

London Bridge Road
Caroga Lake
518/835-4400

Open
July -Aug.
Wed.- Sun.
1pm- 5pm

 

The Children's Museum at Saratoga

The Children’s Museum is developmentally appropriate for elementary aged children and younger, however we find that some older children enjoy the museum when accompanying younger visitors. Additionally, we have programs designed to include older children. Please feel free to call us if you have questions about the nature of our exhibits or programs.


69 Caroline St. in downtown Saratoga Springs, NY.



 

Clark's Broadalbin Heritage Museum

Over 1,300 cameras in the Museum of Photography, a 1905 school room, blacksmith and cobbler shops, and a general store complete with post office, bank and telegraph office. Next door, the church contains an historical exhibit on the U.S. flag and a collection of military uniforms.

Extension S. Second Ave.
518/883-3357

Open daily



Fulton County Museum 

When you really want to get away from it all, plan a trip to the Fulton County Museum. The museum is located on the site of the original 1831 Kingsborough Academy and is in the historic Kingsboro area of Gloversville. You will want to take a few minutes to sightsee in this district which includes early homes, a colonial commons, and a Revolutionary War-era cemetary.

237 Kingsboro Avenue
Gloversvillle
518-725-2203

May - June
Tu - Sat,
Noon to 4 p.m.

July -Aug
Monday-Sat.
10 am-4 pm

Sept- Oct.
Tu. - Sat.
Noon to 4 p.m.



Fort Klock 

Fort Klock was initially constructed in 1750 by Johannes Klock, and in 1973 was designated a National Historic Landmark, a site "of exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States." This 30 acre complex of original colonial farm structures and 19th century schoolhouse and blacksmith shop is open from 9:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M., Tuesday through Sunday, from Memorial Day until early October. A small fee is charged.

Route 5
2 Mi. E. of St. Johnsville
St. Johnsville, NY 13452 518-568-7779

Open
Memorial Day
Tues-Sun
9 am-5 pm.


Johnstown Historical Society Museum

Contents include the cradle that rocked the children of Sir William and Molly Brant Johnson, Nick Stoner’s snowshoes, Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s piano. Library, historical and genealogical archives open to the public.

17 North William Street, Johnstown, New York 12095
518/ 762-7076

Open
June -Oct.
Wed.-Sun.
1:30-5 pm
or by appt.


Johnson Hall State Historic Site

Georgian Manor built in 1763 became the nucleus of a working estate. Sir William Johnson acquired fine furnishings, established formal gardens and added a mill, blacksmith shop, Indian store, barns and other buildings necessary to encourage settlement of the area. The hall has been restored to its 18th century character.

Johnstown, NY 12095

518-762-8712

Open
May 15 -Oct.31
Wed.-Sat.
10-5,
Sunday 1-5.
Call for our
schedule of events.


The Nellie Tyrrell Museum

The Nellie Tyrrell Museum and the Rural Museum are owned and maintained by the Town of Edinburg and leased to the Edinburg Historical Society.

The Nellie Tyrrell Museum was originally the Beecher Hollow School. This one-room school was built in 1860 on property once part of the Walter Vaughn Farm. It replaces an earlier log school that was located just above the present Copeland Bridge. The building served as a school until 1930 when it became the Town Hall until 1974. In 1975 it opened as the Edinburgh Town Museum and was renamed the Nellie Tyrrell Museum in 1979.

open to the public from June 28, 2008 through September 3, 2008

and admission is free to all.

Hours are 12am-3pm Saturdays and Wednesdays.



Northampton Historical Museum

The historical society aims to preserve the history of the region through its museum.

Northville, NY 12134
518-863-2628

The museum is open from June through October Wednesdays and Saturday's 10am - 2pm, or by appointment.


Noteworthy Indian Museum

Step onto the back of the Great Turtle. So begins your visit to the Noteworthy Indian Museum.

Developed from over 60,000 artifacts, the museum quality clay pots, stone tools, beadwork and baskets tell the story of the Mohawk. As you view these treasures, easy to read signs explain their significance and uses.

2 Prospect Avenue
Amsterdam, NY 12010
518-843-4761

open
June - August.
Call for times.

518-843-4761


 


Old Fort Johnson

The story of Fort Johnson and Sir William Johnson began with his arrival in the Mohawk Valley as a young man to manage his uncle's estate, but he soon acquired land of his own. In 1749, he built a fieldstone house he called Fort Johnson, his residence for 14 years and the site of numerous Indian conferences. Johnson conferred regularly with the Iroquois, and he also met the representatives of tribes from New England and the Midwest. His negotiations with the Iroquois nations kept them on the side of the British during the French and Indian War, and the alliance continued during the War for Independence. The residence became home to son John Johnson from 1763-1774.

5 and 67 One mile west of Amsterdam, NY

518-843-0300

Open
May 17- Oct.15
Wed.- Sun.
1pm.-5 pm
Last tour begins at 4:30 pm



Olde Knox Mansion

Former home of Charles & Rose Knox, founder of Knox Gelatin. This 42-room Victorian Neo-classic estate has been restored to its original beauty.

 104 West Second Ave
Johnstown, NY 12095
518-762-KNOX


Paul Bradt Museum

Collection of North American wildlife and artifacts.

Offices,
South Main Street
518- 863-8829

Open
Mon.-Fri. 9-2.


Peck's Lake Museum

1857-1947 Schoolhouse started by John Peck, Original furniture, including desks, maps and blackboard. Nature trail. School field trips by appointment.

Rt 29A
518-725-6236

Open
June-Sept.
Wed-Sat
1-4pm -


Rice Homestead
(Mayfield Historical Society Museum)

A Federalist style homestead. Listed on national and state historic registers.

328 Riceville Road
518/ 661-5130

Open
June - Sept.
Thurs.—Sun. 12-4
and by appt.
Free tours.



The Rural Museum

a 3500 sq. ft. rustic barn-type structure, is located just up the hill from the Nellie Tyrrell Museum. The building had been the former Town highway barn until 1975 and was then used as a storage facility until 1992. The Town leased the building to the Society in 1992, and renamed the Rural Museum, has been housing permanent exhibits ever since. Over the years the exhibits included "Early Logging", and "Maple Sugaring"; in the spring of 2001, the "Victorian Parlor", "Country Kitchen", and "Woodworking" exhibits were updated and improved and a working "Up and Down Sawmill" exhibit was installed. The "Threads, Fiber and Fabric" exhibit centers around a working loom for visitors and students to work on.

Open to the public from June 28, 2008 through September 3, 2008

admission is free to all.

Hours are 12am-3pm Saturdays and Wednesdays.



Tamarack Bird and Wild Life Museum

Mounted wildlife, rocks and minerals, Indian artifacts. Open year round, M-Sa 8AM-5PM. Free admission.

5 mi off Rte 30
Mountain Road, Mayfield, NY 12117
(518)863-6796

 



The Walter Elwood Museum

The Walter Elwood Museum is a gateway to learning using the past to illuminate the present. Utilizing local experience, stories and artifacts, we examine history and culture in all its dimensions. We offer educational programs, unique collections and creative activities to enrich understanding of ourselves and each other.

300 Guy Park Avenue
Amsterdam, NY 12010
518-843-5151

Monday through Friday
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Saturday
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM


The Wild Center
Adirondack Museum of Natural History

The Wild Center is a not-for-profit organization overseen by the Museum's Board of Trustees with the assistance of its Advisory Board. The Museum is located on a 31-acre site in the Town of Tupper Lake, NY near the geographic center of the Adirondack Park. The Adirondacks are unique in the world. Surrounded by people, they house great expanses of nature interspersed with small towns and communities. They can be a model for a future where man and the rest of the natural world find better ways to coexist.

45 Museum Drive
Tupper Lake, NY 12986

November 1st - Memorial Day: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
10 am - 5 pm.

*Special Holiday Hours Dec.26 - Dec. 31
10 am. -5 pm

*Closed month of April for exhibit installations

Summer & Fall
Memorial Day - October 31st - 10 am - 6 pm, 7 days a week


Wildlife Sports and Educational Museum

The museum houses a collection of birds, fish and other animals. Also displayed are early tools and implements used to catch game and fish -from ancient times to the present day - including traps, spears, bows and arrows and guns. The art gallery has an extensive collection of prints and paintings. The gift shop has hundreds of all occasion gifts.

3747 State Highway 30
Broadalbin, NY 12025
518-883-4933

 

Back to History


Historical Markers
 


While in Edinburg, check out the Copeland Covered Bridge, also on North Shore Road. This is one of the few emaining covered bridges in New York State and the only covered bridge left in Saratoga County. It was built in 1879 by Arad Copeland to get his cows to pasture.


View of the Falls from inside
of the Copeland Bridge

Scenic Overlook at the Cpeland Bridge

Back Side of the Copeland Bridge


Looking through the Bridge


Senator Farley's Museum and Library Guide


NYS Historical Preservation


The Glovers of Fulton County


Sacandaga Park History


TIME in SCALE

We specialize in creating museum quality scale models for private collectors, historic organizations, and modeling companies. We pride ourselves on our customer service and accommodation regarding any ideas you might have for an accurately hand-crafted model of your subject.


Entertainment

Arts
Music
Theatre 
Movies

Nightlife

Museums
Libraries

History

Events
sacandaga_lake

Add Me

Contact
GSLBA
Links
Pets

Traveler Services


Seasons


Winter
Spring
Summer
Fall


Home and Garden

 

CURRENT MOON
 

sacandaga expressEdinburg NewsletterAdirondackeradirondack almanacFacebooktwitterGoogle PlusFlickr

Advertise Your Business | Gordon's Marine Web Cam | Sport Island Cam | Lanzis on the Lake Web Cam

All Rights Reserved. Web design by Emery Designs
Many Businesses on this web site are proud members of
Fulton County Chamber of Commerce the Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce and or Hamilton County Chamber of Commerce