Factors To Consider When Choosing a Marina
How do you go about choosing the right marina for yourself
and your boat? Do you use a marina checklist to make
sure you cover all the important questions?
As a longtime boater, delivery captain, vessel safety examiner and former
owner and operator of a marina, I have probably seen
it all – the good, the
bad and the really ugly! As a result, I have compiled a simple marina checklist
no particular order) of things to ask about and observe before deciding to
rent or buy a slip.
is the general appearance of the marina? Is it well
maintained and attractive? It has been my experience
that if the grass is trimmed, the docks are clear
of obstructions and the bathrooms are spotless, the
rest of the marina is probably well run also.
there a first class pump-out facility that really
works and is easily accessible?
the docks, piers and pilings in good repair? Remember,
in bad weather the docks and pilings around your
slip are the only things keeping your expensive boat
from sustaining major damage.
the cleats that receive your lines large enough,
and are they securely attached to the dock?
the electrical system neat, up to date and up to code?
Are outdoor switches, circuit breakers and panel boxes
in weatherproof boxes? Are all 15/20 amp-120 volt non-permanent
receptacles GFI (Ground Fault Interrupters)? Are there
extension cords and other wiring lying around that could
be stepped on or chafing against the dock or a boat?
Are there life rings, with lines attached, at no more than 200-foot intervals along thedock in case of emergency?
- Are there emergency phone numbers clearly posted in order to reach authorities, emergency services and personnel in charge? And is a pay phone available?
- Are there fire extinguishers provided and placed where needed
- Are there NO SMOKING signs posted on the fuel dock? Are the DO-s and DON’T-s of fueling clearly posted on the fuel dock?
- Are there enough parking places? Do you have an assigned parking space?
What kind of security is provided? Boat burglaries, especially of marine electronics, have become a big problem.What kind of lighting system do they have for nighttime security?
Are the restrooms, laundry facilities and pool (if the marina has one) locked and only available to marina residents and guests?
Is the marina located in a dangerous or safe neighborhood?
- Is there a printed list of marina rules and regulations about noise, pets, barbeques, guests, etc.? Is it posted for all to see so that there will be no misunderstandings?
- If fishermen are in the marina, is there a properly equipped fish cleaning station?
- If dogs are allowed, is there a designated Dog Walk?
- Are there green spaces where your children and grandchildren can stretch their legs and play?
- Are the other boats in the marina in good condition and well maintained?
- Are all boat owners in the marina required to have liability insurance?
Does the marina have a qualified mechanic or mechanics available? Are they able to arrange for specialty services (woodworking, fiberglass, etc.) to be available when needed?
- Does the marina allow you to work on your own boat?
- Can you hire an outside contractor to work on your boat?
- Can you have a dock box? Does it have to match the other dock boxes? Does it have to be purchased from the marina?
- Does the marina have winter or off-season storage available?
- Finally, is your rental or purchase agreement fairly priced and equitable to both parties?
wise to remember that any marina - just like any neighborhood
- is only as good as the people who work, play and boat
there. When you know the rules, abide by them and do your
best to be a good neighbor, you will always be welcome.
Be especially kind to old boaters you see in your marina,
as one of them could very well be me! I hope that this
will help you find the perfect marina for you and your
Cove Marina, Inc.
534 vandenburg Point Road
Mayfield NY 12117
Public Launch, Parking and dock space for a fee
Edinburg marinA & Pwersports
North Shore Road
located at the mouth of Beechers Creek in Edinburg,
Surface and parking available.
Public - Pay to Launch - Dock Space Available
322 Lakeside Drive
Mayfield, NY 12117
We have equipment to haul-out power boats up to 45' and sail boats up to
36' and storage for all. Our boat launch is available to the public (for a
fee) and space is available to park trailers while boating.
- Go -Inn
South Shore Road
Launch, Parking and dock space for a fee
at the Bridge
641 Bridge Street
Public - Pay to Launch - Dock Space
on the Lake
1751 State Route 30
2335 N Shore Rd
Hadley, NY 12835
Launch Ramp (4 w.d. vehicle required) 10. per
use (launch or take out)
245 Lakeview Road
199 State Highway 30
284 Houseman Street
Mayfield - 12117
Marine Base, Inc.
199 County Highway 152
Sacandaga Park, Northville
Sunset Bay Vacation Resort RV Park and
Paradise Point Road