Old Covered Bridge at Fish House
This old covered bridge passed way during the construction of the present day Great Sacandaga Lake It connected this portion of the Town of Northampton with the rest of the northern town. Today the Hamlet of Fish House is isolated from the rest of the Town of Northampton. This old bridge was a local landmark and well remembered by our older residents. There was an attempt to save this old landmark but it was destroyed in 1930.
Location: This marker is at the intersection in the Hamlet of Fish House on Route 110, on the north side, across from the Route 109 intersection.
“The Fish House bridge was built in 1818, by Daniel Stewart. The then wide awake spirit of the little hamlet known as Fish House, and the rich farming country lying beyond, together with the prospect of Fish House being one day the great center of trade for this northern region, incited the dwellers therein to use every effort in their power to realize their hopes. The inhabitants petitioned the legislature for and received an appropriation of $5,000 for the building of the bridge. To this the citizens added by subscription $500. The bridge is now in the best possible condition, well covered and protected from decay. Before it was built, the Sacandaga was crossed by canoe and by fording. During the spring and fall freshets the people were very much inconvenienced, as they could not cross with teams, and many times it was unsafe for canoes. The old ford was from a few rods below where the south end of the bridge now is, to a short distance above the north end.”
The above history was taken from: “History of Montgomery and Fulton Counties, N.Y.”, (New York: F. W. Beers & Co.) 1878, page 233. was contributed to Fulton County NYGenWeb by Stephan G. Dennie